Sardara not only preserves a good portion of the common nuragic
and medieval inheritance of the Medio Campidano, but also keeps
its old architectural features in good condition:
The visitors may go for a walk and visit the antique coble-stone
alleys between the old houses of the town, called “Case Campidanesi”.
The old houses are made of stone and “Ladiri” – straw
and clay bricks – and also characterized by their old portals
and artistic archs.
The archs’ keystones of the old houses
show the ancient coats of arms or the emblems of the owners’ trades.
historical houses of Sardara show several ethnographic collections,
which illustrate the features of rustic life. For
Archaeological Museum and Villa Abbas
Sant'Anastasia The Sanctuary
assumes a great historical and architectural importance because
of its features and its position in the old part of Sardara.
The church has a sail-steeple
with two lights. In its front are old indented cornices and a
typical mediterranean bas-relief called “Protome Taurina”.
precious objects found near the church – gemotric pottery,
a bronze small ship and some pieces of a nacklace – date
the place between IX c. and VIII c. B.C.
The church of San Gregorio (1300-1325) is considered representative
of the sardinian amalgam of Romanesque and Gothic Style.
one hand the Gothic Style finds its expression in the small archs,
in the rose window and in the mullioned window of the apse, on
the other Romanesque Style is expressed by the line of the front
and by the
The church, built of white calcareous “Bella Pietra” and
grey stones, has a front halved by two gothic polystyle pilasters,
which support two archs with shaped cornices.
The doorway, framed
by a gothic arch with three long nerves, has a simple architrave,
which is also overcome by a gothic rose window.
The top of the
building is decorated by the blind-Loggia – five
archs with bent frames, which are supported by four square columns.
The blind-Loggia’s archs are covered by the eaves of the
is adorned by eleven archs, which follow the slope of the roof. At the top of
the roof there is the small sail-steeple.
The building has a nave, covered by
a truss-roof, and a semicircular apse lighted up by the graceful gothic mullioned
The church of San Gregorio is a typical building of the transitional
period between Romanesque and Gothic in Sardinia.
main church of Beata Vergine Assunta The church, dating back to XVII c. rises at the top of a scenographic
staircase with its square steeple and its simple front, which
is adorned by a small rose window and a statue.
The building is covered by a Gothic roof furnished with archs.It
show to the visitors the antique statue of San Bartolomeo – XVII
c. – and the valuable pipe-organ – 1758.
Sant'Antonio The building - dating from the late XVII c. - was the
private chapel of the noble Orrù family.
It has a precious
ligneous altar, whose upper side was carved and ornated by the
famous spanish artist Medinas.
In the three altar’s niches are placed the statues of San
Francesco, Sant’antonio and the statue of the “Madonna
della Difesa”, which testifies to the great diffusion of